Ratoath Athletic Club and Ratoath GAA Club are currently promoting heart screening to their club members and family members
It's all too often that we hear of instances of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS) in the national news, and our club is offering its facilities to HeartAid who are coming onsite to run this screening program. We in conjunction with Ratoath Athletic club are promoting this screening to all our club and family members.
(Please note – The cost is payable by members – we unfortunately are not in a position to fund any part of this screening)
Heartaid encourages all families and friends, husbands/wives/children 12yrs+ to avail of the screening.
Why undergo a Cardiac Screening?
Why undergo a Cardiac Screening?
- Up to 100 young people die each year in Ireland from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS)
- 1 in 300 people may have a cardiac abnormality
- The national register recently reported that the incidents of SADS are higher in Ireland than many other European countries.
- In Italy cardiac screening is mandatory for anyone aged 12 to 35 years involved in competitive sport for the past 25 years. They have reduced the incidents of SADS by 89%.
- The European Society of Cardiology & the International Olympic Committee recommends cardiac screening.
- Heartaid’s service is based on the recommendations of the above named organisations.
- This year, Meath GAA captain Shane Mc Anarney underwent Heart Surgery after routine screening revealed a blocked artery, thus saving his life. See the story here.
Heartaid provide an on-site Doctor-led Cardiac Screening service to schools, clubs & companies nationwide. The service is ultimately aimed at reducing the incidents of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS) in Ireland and promoting a healthy lifestyle. They provide our service on-site at a time and place that is convenient.
Heartaid work exclusively to provide regular cardiac screening to all LAYA Healthcare members nationwide. We also screen all senior inter-county GAA teams across Ireland. We screen for the FAI, Connacht and Leinster Rugby, as well as a numerous companies and local sports clubs up and down the country. Our Medical Director is Dr Alan Byrne who was previously Medical Director of the FAI
In accordance with international best practice each Cardiac Screening includes:
• A Personal & Family History Questionnaire
• A Medical Examination with a Doctor
• Lifestyle Assessment
• Blood Pressure measurement
• Obesity Screening
• 12 Lead Electrocardiogram (ECG)
• Consultant Cardiologist review and report
• Individual detailed report on overall screening and explanatory note and recommendations
• Referral if necessary
Heartaid’s service is based on the recommendations of the GAA’s Medical Scientific and Advisory Committee http://www.gaa.ie/medical-and-player-welfare/cardiac-screening and The European Society of Cardiology. In Italy screening is compulsory for anyone competing in sport. They have reduced SADS by 89% over the past 15 years and this is the model we are following.
The Screening, Cost and Health Insurance cover
- Each screening takes 25 minutes
- The fee has been set at €70 per person reduced from €75. If we get more than 75 people to participate the fee will be reduced to €65.
- Laya healthcare members are free, however, you must still book an appointment.
- *People with LAYA health insurance are able to avail of screening for FREE.
- People with other health insurance may be able to claim a % back at the end of the year. Please contact your provider.
- We only screen players/athletes aged 12+ years.
- The screening leaflet is attached to this article. Click HERE.
Booking an appointment
An online booking system has already been set up for Friday 10th January. The clinic code to book an appointment is: ratoath10 (afternoon/evening 2.45am-8.45pm – 40 screenings). Once this is full anyone booking will be promoted to go to make a booking for Saturday Jan 11th (ratoath11 for Saturday Jan 11th, all-day 9.30am-4.45pm – 45 screenings)
Bookings can be made online at https://www.heartaidbooking.ie/bookingform . People can use Credit or Debit cards to book an appointment.
Anyone with LAYA is FREE but must make a booking too.
If you have further questions regarding screening you can contact Philip from Heartaid or Online help at email@example.com or 1890 300 333.
Heartaid: (mob) 00 353 86 467 3320, (LoCall) 1890 300 333, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.heartaid.ieUnit 14 Westside Centre, Model Farm Road, Cork. Or, St Helen’s Wood, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
Post a Comment